Monday, April 13, 2015

Literary Representation NEWS

I have the best of news to share!

After an on-again off-again search for literary representation for my young adult fiction, I have now signed with the wonderful Amy Tipton from the Signature Literary Agency.

I’m still up in the clouds in reaction to Amy’s enthusiasm for my book. From the very first email exchange we had, I’ve been blown away by Amy’s friendliness, professionalism and, again, enthusiasm!

I’ll be blogging about my writing/publishing journey as things happen and as I’m allowed to reveal those things, but for now I can say that I’ve been busy polishing my manuscript to make sure it’s at its best.

You can read some recent interviews with Amy here, here and here.

Some backstory


I’ve been writing short fiction and slipstream poetry since my early teens (though mostly not in English). During my exchange year in California I made my first serious detour into creative writing in English, but it wasn’t until 2011 that I attempted (and completed) my first novel. Let’s calls it BOOK 1.

By the time I began working on BOOK 1, I’ve been living in Australia for about six years. BOOK 1 was a young adult Sci-Fi. After much thinking, I decided not to query BOOK 1. Instead I put it away for a time being. I may return to it sometime in the future when I’m feeling nostalgic or something (or if I get a revision idea worth pursuing).  

By the end of 2013, I wrote BOOK 2 and by 2014 BOOK 3, both young adult urban fantasies, though very different sub-genres. I worked on one book at a time and alternated between the two during the querying process.  

And now to the best part! 


After major revisions, I started querying BOOK 2 on 1 March, got a few requests, and was made an offer on 5 April. 

Needless to say, I didn’t wait long to accept! 


And now, to sum it all up, and as tradition requires, here are some stats on my querying journey.

BOOK 2
Total time querying: 2 months (in 2014 and, again, in 2015)
Queries: 52
Partials: 2
Fulls: 1
Rejections: 27
Closed/No Response: 25
OFFERS RECEIVED: 1
Offer accepted!


BOOK 3 
Total time querying: 9 months (2014-2015)
Queries: 35
Partials: 1
Fulls: 3 
Rejections: 20
Closed/No Response: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment